[teacherartexchange] Good article for discussion - Who owns the art (Holocaust Survivor story NY Times)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 05:05:23 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I thought this article might generate some discussion in your
classroom. Who owns the art?

History Claims Her Artwork, but She Wants It Back
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/30/arts/design/30surv.html?th&emc=th
By STEVE FRIESS
Published: August 30, 2006

".....Seven of the 11 portraits that saved Mrs. Babbitt and her mother
remain not far from where she created them, on display at the
Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum in Poland.

"'They are definitely my own paintings; they belong to me, my soul is
in them, and without these paintings I wouldn't be alive, my children
and grandchildren wouldn't be alive,' ......"

Lead story today in New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html

Online subscription to New York Time is free. It is a great way to
bring current events in art into your classroom.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Resources