[teacherartexchange] Artcyclopedia asking for feedback - Lost and Stolen Art

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 08:35:00 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

John Malyon is asking for feedback on a new Artcyclopedia feature.

Here is is Art Conversation post (August 17, 2006):

I've been looking at several databases which document lost and stolen
art (including works seized/looted during the World War II era). Some
also document recovered art whose rightful owner has not been
identified.

These reports are usually accompanied by photographs of the work,
unfortunately usually taken for the purposes of documenting them item
rather than showing off its artistic value.

I've added a few listings, for now sticking them in the "Other Sites"
category on the artist's page. For an example, see the Renoir page.
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/renoir_pierre-auguste.html#other

Anyway I'm looking for feedback from anyone who can suggest how these
reports can be of use, and how Artcyclopedia can "add value" to what
organizations like Interpol, the FBI and the Lost Art Database are
already doing. It seems to me like the information could be of
interest to art historians, collectors and dealers, but I'd love to
hear specific examples of how these databases are used and suggestions
for ways we could present the information usefully.

John Malyon
Artcyclopedia
You can post you comments on how you might use this new information OR
you can send it to me off list. I will post your replies to Art
Conversation for John.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Resources