Re: [teacherartexchange] Fw: Online Art Class

---------

From: Jen Ellis (just.jen.ellis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2006 - 16:38:19 PDT

Vickie-

First off, I want to congratulate you on all your efforts and research
on trying to make this happen. I also want to express concern for your
price, but I also want to share empathy. Could you give us some
feedback on how/why you ended up choosing this company? Is it because
you didn't have enough "buy in" or "support" from your boss or the
community area? I think the main struggle we have to think about is
often if there is no $$$ behind the work right away people won't jump
to do it.

My proposal would be this. If there is anyway you can create the first
module/lesson without any "backing" and have a model that you can
"sell" you might be able to get a more reasonable rate for your future
models. That way you could go after a variety of different sources,
colleges, art foundations, etc. The better your sample is at the
beginning the more interest you will get and the price will raise.

As for your original question, I have some suggestions. Are you
familiar with Camtasia or Captivate? If so, I would definitely
consider this as a form of teaching your classes to students. What the
program does is actually records your computer movements so you can
demonstrate a method or example in real time. You can download the
trial for free for 30 days if you can make some things in a crunch. If
you already familiar with this product kudos!

I also posted an article on a previous thread about encouraging
students to play and explore the software instead of dictating. This
is how you draw a line, this is how you make a gradient, this is how
you make a layer. Everything changes so quickly it is hard to make a
lesson that will stay current for a year much less two years. Specific
instructions on how to use tools in the software could be supplements
but the projects would be more exploratory. What do you think?

I would also encourage a chat room where you can have meeting with
your students and they can post drafts or status of work. Then you
could very easily by creating a free blog for critiques. The students
send you the work, you post it and they are required to leave
feedback. It is also a great way to send out assignments as well. All
they have to do is "subscribe" to the blog (they will know what this
is trust me, h.s. kids all use blogs such as=myspace) and they will
get notified by email when you posted something. You as the blog
creator will get an email whenever a new comment is left. This would
be great way to get kids to connect from other regions of the world.
Plus, the thing is kids love attention. They will always be checking
that site for new stuff, so they can leave a comment, or read a
comment about their project, see what new things you have to say....

I might think of something else later....but its Friday, and I think
my brain shut off for the weekend.

Take care-

Jen Ellis
Interactive Multimedia Artist
Continuing Medical Education
Cleveland Clinic, Ohio

P.S. Don't take any of my suggestions if you are selling it for $500 a
pop. (wink)