Re: [teacherartexchange] Fw: Online Art Class

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2006 - 15:20:57 PDT

On Aug 25, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Marvin Bartel wrote:

> You wrote:
>
>> The TRITON organization who sponsors/owns the online and video-
>> conferencing courses in northeast Wisconsin would pay me $500 for
>> course development. The course is going to be totally online but
>> could be blended with face to face contact (no more than 20%).
>> Our school would receive $210 per student from TRITON. In
>> addition, TRITON would own the course.
>
> You may enjoy this, and decide to do it for what you learn, but to
> me this sounds like exploitation. $500 is not very much to develop
> a course that they own. I would only develop a course for this
> amount if I could retain copyright to the course materials and own
> the course. This would give me the right of refusal or to get some
> fees if they decide to hire others to teach my course.

I hesitated about responding to this thread, but since Marvin brought
up what I was thinking I'll chime in. This is going to take you
hours and hours to do and if you divide that by 500 you'll end up
with a dollar an hour and nothing for you expertise.
Although I am totally in favor of developing all alternatives for all
children to "not be left behind," I think we have to be aware that
there is profit making sector out there that wants public education
to fail and those that know how to make money are just waiting to
take advantage of our moral and ethical sense of what we give so
admirably. The business people are not so gracious. They see 783
billion dollars spent a year on public schools and they want a piece
of it. They want us to fail so they can swoop in on the money. And I
don't think they care if a child fails.

If anybody still thinks NCLB is about education... well just ask
yourself how much money? and how can you argue with the premise.
We are are living with some very nasty people making decisions about
where are system is going and they are using US with faulty notions
about how to get them richer.

Be a good negotiator. Protect yourself.

just my good intentioned thoughts
Patty

P.S. 30 years ago I got $600.00 for an original fabric design.
Inflate that to today's prices and try to compare it to the amount of
work to develop an on-line course.