Re: [teacherartexchange] Fw: Online Art Class

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2006 - 10:31:15 PDT

You wrote:

>The TRITON organization who sponsors/owns the online and video-conferencing courses in northeast Wisconsin would pay me $500 for course development. The course is going to be totally online but could be blended with face to face contact (no more than 20%). Our school would receive $210 per student from TRITON. In addition, TRITON would own the course.

You may enjoy this, and decide to do it for what you learn, but to me this sounds like exploitation. $500 is not very much to develop a course that they own. I would only develop a course for this amount if I could retain copyright to the course materials and own the course. This would give me the right of refusal or to get some fees if they decide to hire others to teach my course.

I know a teacher who is quite well off after developing a popular online course. He is offering it through 6 different schools and has 500 students per semester. After hiring computer staff and subject matter expert assistants, he is still very profitable. Schools like online courses because they get fees for credit without paying out much for facilities. There students get the choice of more diverse offerings. Students can be anyplace in the world. Teachers are be paid per student and do very well if there is a good enrollment.

Marvin