[teacherartexchange] Online Art Class

---------

From: Joe & Vickie Magee (jvmagee_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 18:28:00 PDT

Hello,
I have read some great words of wisdom since I joined this list serv...now I
was hoping maybe someone could give me some advice as well?

I have been asked to develop and teach an online course regarding Graphic
Arts. There are several reasons I would like to do this. I think it is a
great opportunity to benefit students in/outside of our district who can not
fit such courses into their schedule. Our district is small and I "AM" the
department (like many of you out there). Therefore, the hours I can teach a
high school course are limited and many times my schedule does not fit the
schedules of students. The result, my course was dropped due to only 4
students who were interested. This also makes me concerned regarding my
full time contract. Our district is facing some budgeting problems and the
possibility of my contract beign reduced is a reality (although admin tells
me I have nothing to worry about). Yeah right! I also am pursuing my
Masters in Integrating Technology in the Curriculum. I find this an
interesting but exciting challenge to include in my teaching.

The TRITON organization who sponsors/owns the online and video-conferencing
courses in northeast Wisconsin would pay me $500 for course development.
The course is going to be totally online but could be blended with face to
face contact (no more than 20%). Our school would receive $210 per student
from TRITON. In addition, TRITON would own the course.

Now this class does not have to be up and running this year, but the goal is
for next fall. I have taught Electronic Imaging (which is an Introductory
course to PhotoShop and Digital Art) and Graphic Art classes. My goal is to
begin with Electronic Imaging or something similar. The curriculum I have
is very vague and needs revamping. I was curious if anyone wouldn't mind
sharing their curriculums and outcomes? This would help me to see what
other Art Educators are doing as well, so that I am on the same page. The
hard part is documenting the curriculum to present to Northeast Wisconsin
Technical College (NWTC) who will be guiding me through the online
development. So I will not be on my own with this as far as putting
everything together online.

I have taken courses online and love the flexibility of this type of course.
But I have only been on the receiving end, never the instructor. I would
greatly appreciate any opinions, advice, comments, or suggestions anyone
could share with me.

Thanks,
Vickie - WI

Victoria L Magee