Re: [teacherartexchange] music in the Art room

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 15:04:19 PDT

I have gotten several of my World Music cd's from E-Bay. I also purchase
them from the dollar store, and on clearance elsewhere. Several years ago I
let them listen to their music, but discovered they spent more time skipping
the "bad" songs, or skipping to songs they wanted to hear, so I made a rule
"NO WORDS". They may listen to any music they want as long as there are no
words spoken or sang. At first they balk, but once they "humored me" and
started listening to a variety of instrumental music many students soon have
a favorite. The students' favorites consist of a guitar cd, Casper (the
instrumental cd from the movie), showtunes, AND the biggest surprise was a
Yoga cd (they call it the medicine cd)! Some will purchase their own
instrumental cd's and want to share them with the class, and several
students have told me they liked listening to "my" music when they do their
homework. Most of my cd collection was under $5.
~Michal