Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: August 23, 2006

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 11:38:42 PDT

On Aug 25, 2006, at 10:59 AM, Chantal Pinnow wrote:

> Hi everyone, I have enjoyed reading posts for the last several
> months but
> have not been successful posting until now. I am trying from
> Outlook, so I
> hope that will fix the problem. Here is my question. I am fortunate
> to teach
> at a school with a very healthy art budget so I try to keep the
> supply list
> short for the students to buy. I am surprised how many kids last
> year failed
> to bring the basic pencil and eraser to class. Does anyone have a good
> method for checking supplies throughout the year? What do you do when
> someone shows up without their supplies? I feel showing up to art
> class
> without a pencil and eraser is equivalent to showing up to another
> class
> without your textbook. What supplies do you require your students
> to have
> and how often do you check? Do you allow them to borrow from other
> students?
> Thanks for your input.

I taught in a very poor inner city area with great kids. I gave up
quickly wondering
if students would bring anything to class. I kept pencils and erasers
on hand for
anyone. I spent my time teaching rather than stressing out about
minor things.
My supervisor just smiled when she saw students come up to me and lift a
pencil from my shirt pocket. Of course they always said, "may I ?"

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703
Albuquerque, NM 87199-1703