RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: August 23, 2006

---------

From: Maureen (mmorris_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 08:38:31 PDT

Reply to Stacie
When you say the kids learned the "principles and elements" are you saying
that they have background knowledge on those things? My understanding of
those things have led me to conclude that for students to fully understand
and be able to apply their understanding of those things (formal issues) it
takes them (and as an artist, I include myself in this statement) years. So,
there are numerous, upon numerous art projects that can be presented with
emphasis on one or two of the principles and elements. For example, a
drawing project that students do can have an emphasis on qualities of line,
compositional balance and unified subject matter. The possibilities are
endless. Here is a great idea related to yours and this is a great beginning
design exercise. Using five or six inch squares of black museum board, have
the students cut up white squares of same size paper into shapes, not just
geometric shapes but shapes that characterize line, biomorphic stuff. Before
they glue, have them arrange the shapes onto the black squares.
Positive/negative shapes, balance, "think, plan, arrange and glue" design
process is emphasized. After they are done, all of the student's tiles can
be displayed together as a quilt or as a line around the room. It looks
really cool.