[teacherartexchange] Forgetting Art Supplies (was Digest title)

---------

From: The Trains (strain_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 07:02:16 PDT

This was a real problem for me and I teach high school. One girl
never brought a sketchbook all year, last year.

This might be too late for you to do this year, but instead of asking
them to buy their own supplies, I charged a fee on the book list and
I orderthe sketchbooks, pencils, etc. Every student will get their
own kit, plus I will have some extra supplies in the classroom. Kits
are tailored to our curriculum, eg. in grade 11 we do watercolors, so
everyone has their own watercolor pad.

The other thing I do is collect all the pencils, erasers, pens, etc.
that the kids leave on the desks (and floors) and put them in a shoe
box. The students know that the box is where they can go if they've
forgotten supplies (or reclaim their own, if they recognize them) so
that they aren't constantly asking for materials.

There are so many reasons that students don't show up with supplies.
A few are poor and can't afford much, others are ADD, and are coping
with many issues including organization. Other students are boarding
with teachers, away from home and don't have parents to help them
pick up supplies. Some come from difficult family situations and it's
a wonder when they make it to class. I've learned to accept that some
students will NOT have supplies and to just have strategies to deal with it.

One of the good ways that we have organized the art room (there are
two of us) is to not try to keep pencil crayons (for example) in
their boxes, but to divide up colors into yogurt containers or coffee
cans, enough for each table. That way, whenever students leave
materials they can just be thrown into a can. At the end of the year,
many students who have purchased their own supplies, don't want to
keep whatever is left, so that also becomes part of our supplies. We
also do this with oil pastels.

Shayne