[teacherartexchange] contemporary art

---------

From: Pam Wellington (loveart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 06:38:26 PDT

Hi Pamela,
I have taught contemporary art in the high school art classroom for about 6
years. Ialso gave a presentation to MICA board about contemporary art in the
classroom back in 2000. I realized that we need to better prepare students
for the world they will soon be in. One thing I love to do is assign an
installation assignment and students work in groups to prepare their work
for the annual art show. I also will show contemporary works along side
works from other centuries and tie in similarities. Students are highly
engaged because they see it as more directly relating to them. It is very
hard to advise you because the teaching of contemporary art in the classroom
is so rare and differs so widely from school to school. Some art students
have never seen any famous art newer than 1960. I think showing, discussing
and learning about contemporary art is a great way to get students excited
about the art of their generation.
Pam Wellington
Boiling Springs H.S
Boiling Springs, PA

Hello Everyone,
I joined your list a couple of months ago and have benefited greatly =
from your discussions.=20
I am the Youth Education Curator at a museum in So CA. that is =
increasingly showing more and more contemporary art.=A0 How do you =
present contemporary art and its issues to your students?=A0 What =
educational expectations would you have if you were bringing your =
students to visit a contemporary exhibition?
I want the schools that visit the museum for a tour to have the best =
experience I can give them