Re: [teacherartexchange] button clicks, black canvas, and square sculptures

---------

From: Jen Ellis (just.jen.ellis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 06:05:09 PDT

Found an excellent article at AIGA Art Educators Forum related to this topic.

"SOFTWARE EQUALS INTERACTIVE DESIGN EDUCATION?"
by Jason Aristofanis Tselentis
http://designforum.aiga.org/content.cfm?ContentAlias=%5Fgetfullarticle&aid=1887414

"For designers, the willingness to discover and take risks is a
valuable asset that mirrors the design process itself. Play yields
inquiry, forcing one to ask questions about the matters at hand and
then observe, act, and react in order to reach an objective. Whether
the media is pencil or computer, instilling self-reliance and the play
principle should always be the instructor's objective when teaching
computer media and technology. But changes occur so frequently that
unlike a pencil or paintbrush, the Photoshop of today will be
different within 1-2 years time. And with companies acquiring one
another, or absorbing their competition, it is foolish to revolve a
class (or curriculum) around software because institutions may find
little or no support for that software in the near future."

"At an early level of development, students must learn to understand
this so they may adapt to technology's dynamism long after they leave
school and then carry the habit of play and self-reliance into their
interactive design practices."

Read the whole thing though, Jason did a darn good job explaining his
concept. I could see numerous ties to my own life right now. Usually I
am presented with a problem and have to figure out the best solution,
sometimes having to learn a new program in a day. But I enjoy that
searching, always learning something new, adapting, in a mode of
constant change. It's fun.

They also have a lot of other good stuff on there. Browse around.

Jen Ellis
Interactive Multimedia Artist
Continuing Medical Education
Cleveland Clinic, OH