Re: [teacherartexchange] Table Coverings

---------

From: Karen Chilman (kchilman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 05:48:42 PDT

I have color coded tables as well...but not on the tables. I have empty
paint cans with colored tissue hanging out the top to identify.
I started back to school on the 9th with kids on the 10th of August.

>>> "Amy Broady" <AmyBroady@alumni.duke.edu> 8/23/2006 5:49 PM >>>
Hello, all!

I'm one of the ones who started back to work in August (August 4th for

teachers, August 11 for students here in our district). I'm curious as
what percentage of us are before and after Labor Day. But the reason
I'm
posting is that in my efforts to prepare for the school yer, I had an
idea
that seems to be working well so far.

I wanted to cover my tables to help the room look better for open house
and
the start of the year, and I thought it would be nice if I had table
coverings that also provided some protection.

My solution was to buy two layers for each table: a vinyl party table
cloth--one of those cheap, solid color ones--a different color for each

table. I topped this with a layer of 12-gauge clear vinyl that sells
for
about $2 a yard at the fabric store. A 40%-off coupon can make it even

cheaper.

Both the vinyl table cloth and the 12-gauge clear vinyl are 54" wide,
allowing about 6" to hang off either side of my tables for taping
underneath
with packing tape. I bought the clear vinyl in lengths correct for each

table (with about 6" excess at either end) and used it to cut the long
party
table clothes to the right length.

So my tables have a waterproof covering, and they look extremely
colorful,
but not too busy since they are solid. I identify each table by its
color,
and I laminated squares of the excess colored vinyl for my students to

select blindly from a box as they entered the first day of class. They
then
sat at the table that was the color of the square that they got. No
fussing,
no chance for 7 students to try to sit at a table for 4. I also place a

laminated rectangle of each table's color on the counter area that I
divided
into "table supply stations" where each table is supposed to put their

supplies at the end of class.

So far the coverings have held up very well. The kids seem to like
them, and
I have received multiple compliments from parents and other teachers.

Just thought I'd share. I think I'll do this every year; the room looks
so
cheerful with the bright table tops. I hope they continue to hold up
this
fall.

Amy in TN