[teacherartexchange] Contemporary Art

---------

From: Pamela Atkinson (PAtkinson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 16:19:29 PDT

Hello Everyone,
I joined your list a couple of months ago and have benefited greatly from your discussions.
I am the Youth Education Curator at a museum in So CA. that is increasingly showing more and more contemporary art.  How do you present contemporary art and its issues to your students?  What educational expectations would you have if you were bringing your students to visit a contemporary exhibition?
I want the schools that visit the museum for a tour to have the best experience I can give them.   Hands-on art making is a strong component of the tours that take place in a historic building.  This is the 1st exposure to a museum and sometimes to art in general for many of our visitor.
Thank you for your help,
Pamela Atkinson
So. CA