[teacherartexchange] Table Coverings

---------

From: Amy Broady (AmyBroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 14:49:19 PDT

Hello, all!

I'm one of the ones who started back to work in August (August 4th for
teachers, August 11 for students here in our district). I'm curious as to
what percentage of us are before and after Labor Day. But the reason I'm
posting is that in my efforts to prepare for the school yer, I had an idea
that seems to be working well so far.

I wanted to cover my tables to help the room look better for open house and
the start of the year, and I thought it would be nice if I had table
coverings that also provided some protection.

My solution was to buy two layers for each table: a vinyl party table
cloth--one of those cheap, solid color ones--a different color for each
table. I topped this with a layer of 12-gauge clear vinyl that sells for
about $2 a yard at the fabric store. A 40%-off coupon can make it even
cheaper.

Both the vinyl table cloth and the 12-gauge clear vinyl are 54" wide,
allowing about 6" to hang off either side of my tables for taping underneath
with packing tape. I bought the clear vinyl in lengths correct for each
table (with about 6" excess at either end) and used it to cut the long party
table clothes to the right length.

So my tables have a waterproof covering, and they look extremely colorful,
but not too busy since they are solid. I identify each table by its color,
and I laminated squares of the excess colored vinyl for my students to
select blindly from a box as they entered the first day of class. They then
sat at the table that was the color of the square that they got. No fussing,
no chance for 7 students to try to sit at a table for 4. I also place a
laminated rectangle of each table's color on the counter area that I divided
into "table supply stations" where each table is supposed to put their
supplies at the end of class.

So far the coverings have held up very well. The kids seem to like them, and
I have received multiple compliments from parents and other teachers.

Just thought I'd share. I think I'll do this every year; the room looks so
cheerful with the bright table tops. I hope they continue to hold up this
fall.

Amy in TN