Re: [teacherartexchange] Techies-- I need help

---------

From: Jen Ellis (just.jen.ellis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2006 - 06:28:06 PDT

Find out if your other areas that have computers are on a Mac or PC
network. Then find out those that are supporting the network are
knowledgable on incorporating different platforms on the server. Mac
and PC's can be networked together, but I have found that a lot of
techs don't know how (or maybe don't want to do it). I just don't want
you to spend a lot of money and have a lot of problems later. Wireless
internet access would be a big plus if you could do it.

DVD Burner and Software (usually comes with a computer that has one).
Some thumb drives would be nice. Those are the small portable hard
drives you see people wearing on a string around their neck. You may
also want to investigate having some web/server space as storage for
your own personal files or digital artwork files. You then could just
log in from any computer that has the internet and work on grading,
lesson plans, etc. Later you could expand this to be a web site where
students can download work they missed.

If you choose a scanner, I would get one that scans slides and
negatives if you need to do some archiving.

Photoshop is the staple of most art based programs. If you can get at
least a copy of Elements I would. Find out how much it would be to buy
licenses instead of multiple copies of the same software. (much
cheaper). Depending on the software you can usually load it on 2-5
different machines with the same copy of the program.

Push for the SMARTboard. Those are excellent.

Jen Ellis
Interactive Multimedia Artist
Continuing Medical Education
Cleveland Clinic, Ohio