[teacherartexchange] Project Runway - from Jane

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2006 - 06:13:45 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Jane is having trouble getting her message to post... She is an AOL user.

From Jane:

Re:Project runway

Hi everyone,

I teach fashion marketing. This is a broad area, and although I have
the marketing standards to meet, I can move over into the fashion
design piece which is my favorite. Each year we produce a fashion
show which is different and innovative each year. Last year we based
our fashion show on project runway, and we partnered with Goodwill of
Maine and used their clothing and updated the look by redesigning,
embellishing, reworking , combining with other clothing pieces. It
was a smash of a show, and actually got a lot of media attention for
both my program and goodwill.. we also did a silent auction for a
local cancer community center.

The year before, as I teach in a vocational school, we took materials
from other parts of the building, as metal (the girl made a vest),
made an outfit from tyvek(building materials), we used flowers,
sponges, used elements from the music class like records and guitar
picks to create ensembles. We also got big media attention on this
one too.. big picture and article.. I think they called it "Full metal
jacket"

This year (and I feel proud of this, because we thought about it last
year even before the project runway show) we are doing a photo
contest and a run way show for pet owners and their pets, ( canine and
kitty couture) and they some how have to coordinate with the owners.
We will video tape the show and show it at our actual fashion show and
let the audience determine the winner. We will be giving a portion of
the proceeds to the local animal shelter. Our own fashion show should
be very innovative too . One part of our show will be a fashion
history spin off.. Students will take an era, and make a garment using
an element of that era and incorporate it into a modern garment. So I
am excited to go back to school, and jump right into fashion history
and a prelude to fashion marketing and the fashion show piece. As
luck would have it, someone donated a ton of hardware for making pet
collars and leashes,so we will be doing some pet accessories for our
holiday sale.

I am an addict to PR too and once a week on Friday, if the work is
done we watch the show from that week
in class.

How inspiring.. I should write to Tim Gunn. If anyone is interested
in the articles, I can try to find them online and send them to you
(email mefashionlady2@aol.com)

Thanks

Jane from Maine