Re: [teacherartexchange] Techies-- I need help

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2006 - 18:43:43 PDT

The SMARTboard (can you tell I've been working on grants for it? *L*) is an
interactive board. It resembles a whiteboard visually, but the resemblance
ends there. You can stand in front of the classroom and interact with what
is on the screen by tapping on the board. Ex.= the internet is displayed via
the projector onto the SMARTboard. You tap on a link and the webpage
changes. You can pick up a pen and write notes on the board, circle or
highlight areas you want students to pay attention to, and when you are
finished you tap on the board and the writing goes away. I use my Bluetooth
Wacom tablet much the same way. I don't have a projector in my room, but I
do have a huge television hooked up to my laptop via an Averkey. I can have
an artwork displayed on the TV monitor with my Wacom tablet active. I can
hand a student the tablet and ask him/her to circle something on the artwork
that shows a specific element or principle. They can sit in their seats and
interact with whatever I have shown on the monitor. The SMARTboard would be
better, but this works pretty good as well - the students ALL want to have a
turn! (I only use it with MS/HS right now since my elementary room has NO
technology access at this time).
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids