RE: [teacherartexchange] NCLB impossible to meet

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2006 - 18:39:43 PDT

-
"Now my opinion, Schools should be rewarded for the progress they make
rather than penalized for not meeting
these ridged targets. Also students with disabilities and those new
to english should be counted separate from the
general population. Common sense should prevail."

                                Am I wrong here ? Woody

Questions also arise on the preparedness of Special Education teachers in
that many have a Special Ed certificate but may be required to teach
"reading" or "math" but are not certified specifically in those areas. In
New Jersey teachers are required to be "highly qualified" in the areas in
which they are assigned. While I don't know the specifics for Albuquerque
schools one would have to question whether special education students are
receiving the best education possible if only 7 percent of students with
disabilities scored proficient in math, and 13 percent in reading. That
said, I agree with you that statistics should be separated by groupings such
as "those with disabilities" or "non English speaking".

San D