[teacherartexchange] NCLB impossible to meet

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2006 - 17:59:43 PDT

An interesting article in the Albuquerque Journal today pointed out
some of the problems
with the testing guidelines in the NCLB law. All schools will fail
before 2014 if this
requirement to test every student no mater what their personal
situation is.

Below are excerpts from the article:

Only 7 percent of Albuquerque's 6,726 students with disabilities who
were tested scored proficient in math this year, and 13 percent were
proficient in reading.

21 of the 82 Albuquerque public schools that did not make adequate
progress failed only because their students with disabilities did not
test on grade level.

Three Albuquerque elementary schools failed to make progress under
the act only because their English language learners didn't test on
grade level.

Schools are penalized, even though many are improving, for example,
Eubank Elementary School doubled its percentage of proficient
students this year,
But it failed to make progress because its English language learners
did not test proficient in math.

Now my opinion, Schools should be rewarded for the progress they make
rather than penalized for not meeting
these ridged targets. Also students with disabilities and those new
to english should be counted separate from the
general population. Common sense should prevail.

                                Am I wrong here ? Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons