Re: [teacherartexchange] lesson suggestions

---------

From: Ken Schwab (bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2006 - 17:24:51 PDT

I have done a dot painting with my art 1 students that uses fruit, cut up and drawn from different views. It is the painted flat color the opposite color from what it is. Such as blue for an orange, violet for a lemon etc. Different areas can be painted different values of the color to ease in the painting. After this is dry and sprayed with workable fixative. Dots of the original color are used with whit and a lighter color for the high light and then adding the complement to this as you paint the form. the duller the color the more it looks 3-d and will be shaded. No black is used. You can show Georges Seurat and talk about optical mixing as opposed to paint mixing, and how it works. I have some examples on my website. www.room3art.com and I can e-mail you some examples as an attachment.

Ken Schwab
San Jose, CA