Re: [teacherartexchange] suprise special needs

---------

From: Joe & Vickie Magee (jvmagee_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2006 - 09:13:02 PDT

I just learned that an extremely severe special needs
> child - about whom we have had meetings for months,
> and re-modeld part of the school building to
> accomodate - and who has no use of his hands and is
> non-verbal - is coming to my class NEXT HOUR

Betty,
I know exactly where you are coming from. I find it frustrating when
special needs students are placed in my classes at the last minute because
they (admin) have no where else for them to go. I find it very unfair to
everyone involved, mostly to the student! With no time to plan and adapt
for this student, it makes it very difficult to give the student the most
beneficial experience! Art is such a great content for students of all
diversities to express and experience their senses and surroundings.

I would suggest you meet with his regular special education teacher,
parents, and special ed coordinator to discuss your concerns. Maybe his
schedule is flexible and he could come into your class when your room is not
so crowed? I believe mainstreaming is important but I think what is more
important is that this child gets the full experience from your teaching and
what the Visual Arts have to offer. In addition from my experience, our
special ed department is always willing to 'fund' any additional
equipment/materials you could use to make this the best opportunity for the
student(s). It can't hurt to ask, the worst they can say is, "no".

Good Luck,
Vickie-WI