Re: [teacherartexchange] Best Art Colleges - SCAD

---------

From: Jen Ellis (just.jen.ellis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2006 - 06:57:13 PDT

This college is more about techniques than fine art discussion. If you
want to go into a career in industrial, fashion, computers, design, it
is a really good choice. Plus it requires a lot of field work and
internships. It is a good way to meet contacts and there is also a
large amount of students from other countries.

Most of the professors have all been employeed in the "real-world" as
some may call it and come in to teach what is really expected of you.
Also, there are a lot of adjunct professors that teach in their off
time between larger projects.

I think the school may have been struggling for a while because of
accreditation issues. (i think it is OK now)

I would not say that it is an "easy school", even though you may be
able to get into the school, it does not mean that it will be a lot of
hard work with a lot of expectations right from the get go.

Also the campus is very spread out into various buildings and you
spend a lot of time with those in your major (and your major only).
Some people prefer that, but others like to be around a larger working
group of different art focuses.

But it sure has a hefty price tag to pay, I don't think there is
anything wrong encouraging state schools as well for some other
options. I think a lot of times specifically "art schools" are only
looked at when applying for college and the other cheaper ones are
overlooked. Then you graduate with 100,000 in debt and well we all
know with an art degree it's not the easiest making the big bucks to
pay that off! :)

I would encourage people to read the new TIME article this past week
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1226150,00.html
(you need a subscription online, unless someone else can grab it and
post it up here)
I read it in the airport, SCAD was actually in there. It talks about
more specialized programs, or lower major numbers, more individualized
attention. It might be easier to shine and really find yourself in the
art world without thousands of other art students around all competing
for the same thing.

Food for thought. Excellent article.