Re: [teacherartexchange] PR

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2006 - 17:50:13 PDT

>> Project Runway is on the BRAVO channel

They do rerun episodes here in Albuquerque on Sundays. I saw the end
of one where
the design problem was to fashion after a celebrity like Marilyn
Monroe or Twiggy. But
the following episode was to do a design using materials collected
from the New Jersey
recycle center. This was worth watching and could be adapted to
interesting problems
in the classroom.

It was mentioned that this show might be a model for critiques. I'd
be careful about that.
The attitudes expressed by many of the participants were quite
negative bordering on
hateful. I understand it is TV and meant to entertain. But students
copy behavior so
easily especially when a respected teachers models or showcases the
behavior.
They eliminate a person each week. We can't do that in our
classrooms. We must be
able to motivate our students without snide and hurtful remarks. What
works in a TV
show will damage students. I've observed teachers berate even adult
students and
inflict deep hurtful wounds. Our bedside manners are important to
develop and improve
on the longer we teach.

We can steer students into better design and greater creativity and
still be positive
along the way. Another point that hit me, was all the language that
needed to be
bleeped. People in professional positions like designers don't need that
language. I assume the TV show needs it for effect. Call me a prude,
but I
would not tolerate that in my classroom and I always taught in the
inner city.
My students showed proper manners or we had very long talks.

Am I wrong here, Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons