RE: [teacherartexchange] 3-D ceramic clocks

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2006 - 04:37:38 PDT

About 20 years ago I did ceramic clocks (I don't have any available lesson
plans), but will tell you that the most important thing is to get the
mechanism (we used battery operated hands), and figure out how they need to
be installed. Then you must keep in mind the shrinkage of the clay when
designing the back area where the mechanism will be inserted (otherwise they
stick out and the clock doesn't lay flush. (I am assuming that you are doing
wall clocks, but if you are doing free standing clocks, you still need to
tinker with the mechanism, and how the owner will get to it to change
batteries). My students did animals with clocks, and I used the kitschy
clocks (like the black cat whose tail sways, or the bear with the clock in
the stomach) as an example. I remember that I got some great clocks from the
kids.

San D