RE: [teacherartexchange] Best Art Colleges - SCAD

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2006 - 17:10:58 PDT

had to put in my 2 cents re: SCAD. agree with sanD
about SCAD being good for kids who can afford the
tuition and for whatever reason don't meet the ultra
high portfolio standards of some other schools. being
a late bloomer myself, i'm glad my post-hs
success/choices didn't entirely depend upon my hs
portfolio. i attended SCAD's art educators' forum
this summer and was EXTREMELY impressed with and
inspired by the instructors who taught our classes.
they were top notch. i toured many of the school
buildings spread throughout the historic district of
savannah (too cool!) and was dazzled by the student
work on display. ideas + execution were both WOW!
don't know what their financial situation is, but we
were provided with LOTS of supplies - really good
stuff! - and some nice "swag" too. all the facilities
i saw were in great shape. they didn't recruit me as
a pr person; in fact i was a bit surprised at the lack
of any "hard sell". just wanted to say i got a very
positive impression and feel good about suggesting
SCAD to my students. they're adding more
scholarships, too (many of my kids couldn't afford the
tuition). also, the kids from our school who have
gone to SCAD and kept in touch have seemed
happy/successful. can't beat that!

:D wendy