Re: [teacherartexchange] runway

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 15:36:05 PDT

That's exactly what I like!
The problem solving within certain "means." and maybe a time frame.
Make them think quick and
and don't eliminate because of faulty thinking but relish in the
thinking. I have not seen anything on PR that I couldn't translate
to some kind of problem that wasn't about fashion.
>> Make a modern outfit for one of these glamour women, audrey
>> hepburn, marilyn monroe, jackie kennedy, Katheryn herpburn,
>> twiggy, etc.

I loved this and it got me thinking about what was needed to make
the outfit. If I translate that to my class, it''s not so much about
the "in the style of" but what were the circumstances for the design
decisions? Any time we take an icon and want to transform the
interpretation, we have to consider the prior knowledge. What a
great way to get in to the history and make the student
responsible for the research.

I also love the open ended assignments. What better way to know that
given some choices, the student will come up with a variety of
I also think that the contestants, no matter how much they hate the
assignment, will comply and work within the parameters. This tells
me something about how kids will do, if there is a "stake" in the
doing. I'm not giving any great prizes in my art classes, but they
sure do have to know a goal that benefits them in some way.

Always ask why am I asking them to do this?

Patty