[teacherartexchange] runway

---------

From: Diane Davis (dianemdavis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 14:51:25 PDT

It's not so much the teaching that gets me watching that show. But the
open ended assignments and watching the variety of solutions that
intrigues me. The cool thing is that they usually have 30 minutes to
sit and design in their sketchbooks, 30 minutes for shopping for
materials, a budget for the dress and a time limit on when it must be
done. Usually it is 10-20 hours total.
Examples of projects:
take pictures around NY city and design an outfit based on one of those
pictures.

here is a dog. Using the dog as an accessory, design an outfit that
represents the dog while also designing an outfit for the dog.

Here is a recycle center. Taking only things from the paper, cardboard,
plastics and metal bins, design an outfit that reflects your style.

Design an outfit for a barbie doll, then make it for your model as well.

Make an outfit completely out of things from a flower shop-flowers,
vines, etc.

Make an outfit out of anything you can find in your room....bed linens,
sheets, towels, rugs, curtains, etc.

make a new outfit out of the outfit you wore last night to the party.

Make an outfit/makeover for another designer in the contest

Make a wedding dress based on the dream wedding dress of your model.

Make a modern outfit for one of these glamour women, audrey hepburn,
marilyn monroe, jackie kennedy, Katheryn herpburn, twiggy, etc.

And some classics: design an evening gown for miss America, lingerie, a
dress for a particular company, a skating outfit for a professional
skater...
diane