Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Chairs inspired by nature - Japanese designer Masanori Umeda

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 06:56:57 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I know many of you like to do Chairs units... here is a different
alternative to the 'art in the style of...." lesson. Try chairs
inspired by nature and use the Japanese designer Masanori Umeda for
inspiration. His motives were very similar to Georgia O'Keeffe's -
might be a good lesson to draw some comparisons. Use some of the
flowers that inspired her and design a functional object from the
flowers (wouldn't have to be chairs)... and it wouldn't have to be
flowers either - kids could be inspired by fish or other natural
object (Umeda was also inspired by fish in designing bowls and such).

I found this designer by exploring Wacky Kids site (from Denver Art Museum):

I entered Masanori Umeda chair in Google and found many additional
chairs. Search by just his name and you will find more things he

If anyone tries something like the above lesson, let me know. I would
like to put it on Incredible Art Department.

Here are more works in the Denver Art Museum Collection that children
can explore and learn:

The Northwest Coast segment was listed in Riverdeep Newsletter.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources

To unsubscribe go to