[teacherartexchange] help with painting structure

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 04:08:12 PDT

I think you really would benefit from trying to hook up with another visual
arts teacher in your area and get together to chat. I could not teach
music with out some real help. Actually I could not teach it at all, as I
don't play and instrument and I sing like a scalded frog...
Specific help regarding painting?
Set up a sequence of lessons for the year Set a goal for the lesson
Example: Is the experience about learning what happens when you mix colors.
In that case you need plastic lids from ice cream tubs or cool whip... or
even some art teachers on this list have use a glossy magazine with the
cover ripped off. On to the palette a small dab of the colors.
for example what does fog look like how does it feel, where you see
fog... and than using only black and white and water and a brush create a
fog painting. It is about mixing different grays and adding water for
transparency... With the magazine you rip off the top page with the paint
an chuck it. with the lids you have a bucket of water and assign helpers
to clean them. then the next one might be places that are hot colors that
are hot and just yellow & red
Another approach is a response to actual reat time objects such as a
sunflower in a tub of water heldup with rocks in the tub...
Or exploring the marks that different brushs make.
I buy all my paint with the dispensors pumps and keep the pumps from
clogging by inserting a large paper clip that I have unfolded.