[teacherartexchange] button clicks, black canvas, and square sculptures

---------

From: Joe & Vickie Magee (jvmagee_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 07:22:06 PDT

Jeff wrote:
"I FACILITATE THEIR JOURNEY TO UNDERSTAND THE TECHNOLOGY
AND THE POSSIBILITIES IT CAN OFFER THEM IN THE
PRODUCTION OF ART."

I have to jump in on this topic, I have enjoyed reading so many perspectives
and I must say it has really opened my eyes as an Art Educator. Thank you
to all who post on this list serv!

Now my thoughts, the key word is "facilitate", we are no longer just the
messengers of information in our classrooms, we guide, assist, and work
along side of our students. With today's technology we can provide students
with experiences outside of our classroom walls. As I have learned through
my master's program their are four types of learning spaces. Dr. David
Thornburg, Ph.D outlines these spaces as Campfire (informational), Watering
Holes (conversational), Cave (conceptual), and Life (contextual) in his book
Campfires in Cyberspace (1996). Each of these spaces exist around us and
aid in our learning. Now we must introduce our students to these spaces via
the Internet. Creativity can exist in technology by allowing students to
use the traditional tools and basic concepts through Internet Projects,
Internet Workshops, Internet Inquiries, and WebQuests. Students can search
and review Artists (campfire) that otherwise would have only been assessable
through books and local museums and artists in the past. Conversing (as we
do here) through chat, E-mail, message boards, and video allows students to
judge, analyze, and critique their creative concepts (watering hole). Using
technology and traditional methods to create is where students experience
the conceptual space (Cave). The act of sharing these creations via the
Internet is where the cycle begins again. The creator now becomes the
person delivering information back to others creating another Campfire
experience. The contextual experience is allowing students to apply their
knowledge with and without technology. I would love for each of my students
to be professional artists or enter a related field. The reality is many
will go onto other career choices. Using technology along with art provides
students with the knowledge to integrate creativity, problem solving skills,
cultural acceptance, and flexibilty in thinking to encourage success as they
enter the fast paced world of tomorrow. Students need to know how to
survive and communicate using technology. If we do not INTEGRATE (not
replace) these experiences in our teaching we are short changing the
education of today's students. I still believe we need to teach the
methods, history, and traditional tools of art, but using this along side of
new methods can create success.

Vickie (WI)

Victoria L Magee
Art K-12