Re: [teacherartexchange] Lesson with styrofoam/cardboard cones

---------

From: makul9 (makul9_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 04:36:50 PDT

I have used the cones in elementary levels for portrait sculpting lessons -
either Model Magic or plasticene for the head - with much attention to
sculpting the forms of the face. Hair can be sculpted or added with wool
fleece or yarn. We have painted the cones or draped glue soaked fabric over
the cone for the body. I usually drill 2 holes through the upper portion of
the cone so that a pipe cleaner can be threaded through for arms. The fabric
can be draped over the pipe cleaner or in the painted version, we have
threaded beads onto the pipecleaners.... I usually buy the cones from
Triarco or Sax since I never get enough empty cones.... Very successful,
fun, and brings about an awareness of facial forms plus...
Mary
Minnesota