RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: August 15, 2006

---------

From: Maureen (mmorris_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 10:26:35 PDT

There are many discussions that should happen in an art class. One of those
is this concept of originality tempered by the reality that most of what we
do has benefited from someone or something that has come before. This notion
of the "truly talented" and "god given" is nothing more than eugenics
disguised in the idea that others are simply more inspired. Inspiration
takes many forms. I guess it is a scary thing for some people to experience
art as a vehicle for democratic social transformation. Who out there is
copying other people's original artwork? Who among us allows our students to
copy artist's original artwork in the classroom? I think that when any of us
becomes staunch followers of any one thing over something else, we have
limited ourselves. Do I copy other people's ideas in my own artwork? Not
exactly, do I find inspiration through the message or means of another
artist's expression? Absolutely. Observational drawing is important, never
said it wasn't.