Re: [teacherartexchange] Update...surviving!

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2006 - 17:44:53 PDT

On Aug 15, 2006, at 5:42 PM, StacieMich@aol.com wrote:

> I haven't really taught
> much...it's been mostly procedures and paperwork, and we've been on an
> irregular schedule...all seven periods for different lengths of
> time. Tomorrow we
> start the regular block schedule. I'll have four classes, 90
> minutes each, with
> no break.
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to share some of my excitement. Now I need
> to figure
> out what I'm going to do with the kids tomorrow! I'm thinking of
> going over
> some basics, giving them a pretest, maybe having them create
> personal mandalas.
> I also have an idea for them to work in groups and create a mascot
> based on
> an artist. We'll see. Any ideas are welcome. I've got pencils,
> colored
> pencils and a few boxes of markers.

Stacie,
        Your personal mandalas and art mascots sound good. Most importantly
have them get busy creating something. Too many teachers wear the
kids out
with rules and procedures. Those are important, but blend them into your
lessons. The quicker the kids produce - the quicker you will find out
what they
can do. And, put it up on display. If they moan about it not being
their best,
then tell them to produce better to replace it. "Show me what you can
really do".
Start simple but expect their best. Good luck, keep us posted.
                                                Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons