Re: [teacherartexchange] Daily warm ups?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 16:07:53 PDT

I like to start each class with a question from the most recent arts
news as I can make it. I subscribe to all kinds of services that
give me current art news.
The Arts Journal is great and free. This is a compilation of news
from around the world and most days I can find something that causes
a question for me. And it's not just the visual arts but all arts.

http://www.artsjournal.com/

I think you get even the youngest kids into a routine of looking for
the "art question of the day" and as they get their "stuff
together" for the days work they can talk about the question in their
table groups.
I think of this as practice for expanding thinking, noticing
prejudices, and questioning preconceptions. And I think it is as
important as a warm-up drawing activity.

Maybe, instead of an "altered" book, they can create a book for the
year-- "My 5 minutes of thinking about art." And make it that
quick-- An immediate response to a question. And maybe once in a
while let the kids create the question. And maybe sometime one kid
will get so caught up in the question and delve into something you
never expected, and the required project will become a second choice.
It may be a good way to find some interests you didn't think about
and open up a place for the kid who doesn't think of his/her place
in art.

> Here are some sample aesthetics questions:
> http://www.art.unt.edu/ntieva/artcurr/aes/aes0.html

This a great place to start looking for questions. Certainly lots to
cause the HOTs.

Every time I get a new edition of "Studies in Art Education" there
is something in there about teaching "Visual Culture." Every time I
look for something to do with my digital class I come up with
something about "Visual Culture." I think it's mighty important to
ask the questions about the aesthetics. I really don't know what my
kids value in the art. Mostly I see what is POP as the value. I'm
not so willing to make their standards mine, but I am willing to find
how theirs got to be what it is and help them get to know how it all
got to be.

Today I heard some story on NPR about Japan "banning?" some of our
popular images like Mickey Mouse. I think the gist was that the
Japanese animators are not so good at producing original images, but
VERY good at imitating. And some how they feel threatened by our
original images. Anyone else hear this and did I misinterpret?

Ah well. guess what I do best is think of the big questions and
wonder how I can get my kids to think big too.
Patty