Re: [teacherartexchange] Daily warm ups?

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 07:23:29 PDT

Greetings Chris and All,

I used to have a folder of "bell ringer"/"bell work" activites but can
not find it now.

Here is one post I found from Grace Hall:

> > The "bell work" or "bell ringer" (Harry Wongism) is an aesthetic
> > question that I put on the board each day. On Friday's I give 5 points
for each complete entry.

> Marilyn Stewart's "Thinking Through Aesthetics". She lists a whole
bunch of questions in the appendix.

Thinking Through Aesthetics is a Davis Publication and is still available.

Here are some sample aesthetics questions:
http://www.art.unt.edu/ntieva/artcurr/aes/aes0.html

I know you are looking for some quick warm-up activities to use with
5th and 6th graders.... (I have read all of the posts on drawing and
guided drawing....)

I did find this old post from Carolyn R. The students did enjoy these
activities.

From Carolyn:

When I was teaching middle school, I always wanted the students to come in,
sit down and start working. I found that the quicker they began drawing,
the quicker they settled down. Ever thought about how quiet it is on the
first day of a new lesson...they are so engrossed.....

I bought a Mark Kistler "Draw Squad" book and used the drawings in there for
warmups. One year, I made copies of the individual "how to's" and had them
on the table when the students came in. They would grab their
journal/sketchbooks and their "how-to" sheet and start working.

Then, I changed this and began using the overhead to "draw together" with
basically the same things. We started with the boxes, spheres, pyramids,
etc. in perspective and they didn't even know they were drawing in
perspective....and then when we actually got into perspective, they
understood it much easier.

The other day, I had two students who are now in high school tell me how
much they enjoyed those little warm-up drawings...and they were sitting
there drawing some of them to show me that they remembered.

Check this out on the internet...there are a few on-line lessons to get you
started. Then you can check out the book, if you like it.

http://www.drawsquad.com/lessons/seven.html

Here is a post from Jan H:

At a previous school, I had loose paper ready to go (1/2 sheets of copy
paper), in boxes as the kids walked in. They grabbed a sheet, sat down,
I introduced a quick warm/up (5-10 min). Then they got down to work...
Actually this grew out of a need for more transition/set-up time between
classes. During the warmup I'd pass out the ongoing projects or some of
the supplies ready for the rest of class that day.
I saved those sketches all year in copy paper boxes, categorized by
class and grade, then each student assembled their sketches into a book
at the end of the year. Parents looked forward to these books.

Daily Warm-Ups: Art is available from Crystal Productions:
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/6502
It is designed for grade 5 thorugh 8.

Dick Blick carries it, too - but it is out of stock right now
(according to the web site).

Judy Decker