Re: [teacherartexchange] Copying

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 04:41:50 PDT

Oh no, I believe drawing is very important.

I believe traditional "observational" drawing must be
taught but at the same time offer students other
alternatives because not all students grasp that
process due to learning styles, handycaps etc. If all
a teacher promotes is "observational" drawing
excluding all other techniques and "tricks" we are not
giving our student choices.

Drawing is a method of expressing an idea. Since the
beginning of time it has been a way to communicate.
Drawing has transformed itself through time from being
a language, a stand alone art form, to a planning
method. It was a way individuals recored images and
events (pre-photography). Through all time drawing
has had its aides to: tracing, use of light to
transfer, and gridding.

The issue is not drawing the issue is how one teaches
drawing: traditional or using other techniques or
tricks. What choices are you going to offer your
students?

Jeff (Minnesota)