Re: [teacherartexchange] Copying

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 19:01:59 PDT

i am confused, i thought you (jeff) were arguing
'against' drawing and now you have put forth such an
eloquent argument for it...

"When we look at an object...we pick out the details,
analyze what is there, select what is important,
decide what it should be and how it should be."

i will admit that i can't imagine my life without
drawing, that drawings to me are one of the ultimate
truths and gratifications, both looking at them and
making them. even given my extreme bias, though, i
still see it as more of a rational than emotional
argument that THE most important art skill students
should learn is what jeff described: observing,
processing, and producing an image that distills the
essence of what is seen. to me this skill is a
fundamental mode of human communication at least as
important as writing or performing mathematical
calculations.

with respect to copying, defined as not drawing from
life, i say from personal experience that while it is
nifty and useful to learn tricks and techniques of
others, it does not compare with the delight and
fulfillment experienced having worked through a
problem of representing what i have seen in my own
mind's eye and deemed it successful.

great discussion!

:D wendy

 wendy