Re: [teacherartexchange] vision info for Carol et al

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 18:15:55 PDT

Hi Carol and List,
  One organization to which I belong is the American Nystagmus
Network --- http://www.nystagmus.org ---which will give you some
basics of this unusual eye movement condition. This particular link
-- www.nystagmus.org/students.html --will be especially beneficial to
teachers on this list who have students with visual impairments.
Lack of stereopsis itself is usually a result of ocular misalignment
of the eyes, as in an eye turn in or out. This condition is called
"strabismus" and can often be fixed through surgery in young
children, preserving stereopsis if caught early enough . Nystagmus is
a neurological symptom of a "miss-wiring" in the visual system and
can have many sources, some known, many unknown. It often
accompanies other medical conditions with visual components, like
albinism. The later in life it presents, though, the more problems
the person will have with vision and balance, because it really
messes with the way you have learned to see. Lacking stereopsis and
having nystagmus is not a life and death situation, but teachers need
to be aware of and make simple accommodations in the classroom to
help those children succeed.

                                Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                                Art teacher, K-5, retired