Re: [teacherartexchange] copying

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 18:00:27 PDT

I have a rather large family in my district where all the males are color
blind. Of course I walk into my first day 13 years ago having spent years in
college having never learned anything about color blindness. Why don't
colleges teach these kinds of issues sometime in their curriculum???
Anyways. by the time the 3rd boy came along I was prety good at teaching
them how to cope. They wanted to do things realistically, so they knew if
they were drawing leaves the leaves should be green, even though they
couldn't tell cool colors apart. So I made sure that anytime they used color
and had to carry over a project until the next week that they write down the
names of the colors on the back of their project. I will say that my
all-time FAVORITE project of all time is when we were creating a jungle
collage and one of my little guys made a green lion. Of course the kids
asked him why he made his lion green, and he re-made it because he didn't
want to be different, but I kept that green lion for years!

I would love to hear teaching strategies that everyone uses when dealing
with kids with conditions, such as stereopsis (which I have never heard of
either).
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids