Re: [teacherartexchange] GUIDED DRAWING? Opinions, suggestions - thoughts?

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 16:26:35 PDT

Jeff,

Thanks for sharing this technique. Last year was my
first year teaching (elementary) and it was the first
year for art in Arkansas so the kids had never had art
before and struggled with drawing - I tried the Mona
Brooks lessons - I taught them her vocabulary of line
and shape and then tried the lesson where you draw a
bird - but it felt too much like I was telling them
how to draw a bird rather than teaching them how to
break things down into shapes - and most of them
looked exactly alike - ugh!

My district even had a curriculum that included
specific lessons where you draw a "u" and then a line
on top and then a half circle to make a face with a
hat on top and I taught this lesson because I had to
and the kids LOVED it, but it felt like cheating. I
even had one first grader who did exceptionally well
with this project and his mom came to talk to me about
it and say what a great art teacher I was - which made
me feel uncomfortable.

Your approach puts the ownership back on the kids and
I'll be sure to try it in the next few weeks.

chris in Central Arkansas