Re: [teacherartexchange] Copying

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 15:21:35 PDT

I just had a thought...

When we look at an object: a hand, shoe, tree,
mountains, person etc. we are looking at an object in
real time, real space. When we look at an object,
copying it from a photo, painting, drawing we are
looking at an event that has already taken place, a
memory, a frozen moment in time. We observe both, we
pick out the details, analyze what is there, select
what is important, decide what it should be and how it
should be.

As Art Teachers what should we be connecting students
more to? Which benefits students to the skill of
observation/seeing more? Which will bring them closer
to the true nature of creativity?

Just a thought?

Jeff (Minnesota)