Re: [teacherartexchange] GUIDED DRAWING? Opinions, suggestions - thoughts?

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 15:06:53 PDT

Leah,

I do something like this with my Elementary students
using animals. I get a picture of common animals and
lay a piece of clear plastic over it and ask students
to help me brainstorm what shapes make up the animal.
We try different shapes to determine what will best
represent the animal. Students then, using the shapes
they helped determine worked best draw out the bodies
of the animals. They brainstorm again and discuss the
best place for the details: eyes, mouth, nose etc. We
discuss how rounding off or creating curves to the
animal help better represent movement in the animals
body.

By using clear film over the original photo students
then associate an image with the development of shapes
and line. I encourage students to try this technique
at home and have had students have a greater success
in drawing.

This techniques leads into later drawing skills where
they start to break images down into simple, shapes,
forms and lines in their minds instead of the aide of
clear film. Visual training.

Jeff (Minnesota)