Re: [teacherartexchange] GUIDED DRAWING? Opinions, suggestions - thoughts?

---------

From: Diane Davis (dianemdavis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 15:02:58 PDT

When I was in 6th grade, I was taught how to draw a cartoon horse with
it's tongue sticking out. I thought it was the greatest drawing in the
world. Over the years, whenever I wanted to draw a funny horse, I drew
that horse. I didn't try to draw any other or make changes to it,
because that one was perfect.
Now as I approach 50, I can still draw that horse. It became a symbol
in my mind that I had to reject in order to draw horses from
observation. While kids love to draw things that look "good", it does
place this in their minds as "the way" to draw these things from then
on....
Better perhaps to take a picture and talk about what you look at when
you are drawing....notice how the back here is curved, the ears are
triangles, but the tops of the triangles are bent.....
diane