[teacherartexchange] Copying

---------

From: leah rachlis (leah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 14:59:24 PDT

Last year I had an opportunity to invite a few HS seniors along on a field
trip to the local Fine Art Center for a tour and a lesson - 2 of the
students had not taken art with me since my first year of teaching - when
they were in MS.

One surprised me at how well he drew (from observation) shoes we were doing
contour drawings off during this lesson at the Art Center. I complimented
him -- and he totally shocked me when he said: that he had never thought he
could draw before he had been in my class 5 years ago, when I "made" them
spend 15 minutes, 3 times a week drawing their own hands from
observation....

I quit doing that regularly, because so many baulked so loudly - but I do
think it may be time to do it again!

Drawing from observation is what makes me feel like an artist - it makes me
feel alive.

 - Leah