Re: [teacherartexchange] copying (and I'm venting)

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 13:40:34 PDT

On Aug 13, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Patricia Knott wrote:

Wow !! Where does one start ?

> I think we have to think long and hard if DRAWING is the start
> point for art education?
> and in how many ways can we accomplish observation? We have all
> kinds of devices now
> (cellphones, digital cameras, i-pods, camcorders, web cams...) that
> can capture a moment immediately.
> How much do our news services rely on immediate cellphone images?
> a lot.
> And, I really have to wonder why I ask a kid to spend a long time
> capturing in a drawing
> when it can be immediate with devices.

Drawing taught me to see as an artist, shapes , lines, edges,
composition, etc. It allows me now to
pick up a camera and use it effectively as an artist. Perhaps I could
have become a decent photographer
without drawing first but I doubt it.

> I have really put drawing low on my priorities.

An art class with little drawing, it sounds sad ! but that's my opinion.

> I keep wondering why we hold on to this drawing thing? I draw, I
> love to draw, But it's not the norm,
> or is it so necessary. Cameras record and hold.

The human mind must be taught to see, to hold and to cherish before
any new technological tool can be
utilized effectively. Drawing, through out history has been effective
in teaching artists to really see.

> Can someone tell me why it is important for a student to go
> through the pain and agony of having to draw,
> when they know they can't.

"When they know they can't" ??? I can't speak Spanish but given
instruction and more importantly strong
motivation I would learn to speak it well. It is our job to motivate
an with passion. An art teacher who does not
really value drawing would have trouble motivating students to learn
to draw.

> Let's let go of the drawing and let's see that each kid finds a way
> to express through any means
> Art allows for all means. Everybody talks about the standards and
> meeting them,
> But they are so open you can use any method to achieve the goals.

If drawing is not in the standards, then it is our fault because we
wrote those standards. If we need to
correct our error so drawing is addressed in art classrooms then lets
be specific on at least that point.

                                                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net