RE: [teacherartexchange] copying

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 12:06:37 PDT

I am pulling things together for my arts/language arts classes - I am
focusing on journals this year - and observational drawing. I guess it
would really be more towards the visual literacy side. I have pulled
papers from college engineering courses, scientists notebooks,
naturalists journals, math notebooks, schools of medicine - all showing
the importance of journals with visual notes. I like to show where the
connections are even if I don't expect all students to grow up to be
artists or directly connected to the arts -

But I like the kids to copy with me occasionally too - not big stuff -
once in a blue moon - if for nothing else than to show them how to use a
point of reference and break down a drawing. Skill to application.

In math observational drawing would be proportional reasoning and
spatial visualization - both national standards.

Ellen