Re: [teacherartexchange] copying

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 10:54:04 PDT

On Aug 13, 2006, at 11:18 AM, Jeff Pridie wrote:

> Unlike "Math" drawing requires observational skills,
> "seeing" detail, and eye hand coordination. For some
> these skills are second nature but for most they are
> extremely frustrating and take a large amount of time
> to master. Offering them one method to develop that
> drawing skill is like the "Math" teacher that only
> requires drill and practice without offering other
> techniques and possibilites to find solutions.

Perhaps we are playing with words here and we may have to
agree to disagree on this topic. I think we both believe that we
really teach seeing rather than drawing. As you said,
"drawing requires observational skills". I simply believe
that teaching drawing by observation is of prime importance
to learning to see and learning to see more fully is our
major job when we teach drawing. Hopefully our students
will meet teachers with various opinions. I've had college
professors who thought copying others photos was fine
as was projecting photos to trace was OK as well. I for
one will stick to my opinion. I'm no longer teaching but
I'll give art teachers a printmaking workshop in a couple
of months which requires a drawing. I will provide silk flowers
so they will be drawing from observation first. It's important
to teach what I preach. Here are my triplet grandkids, a few
years ago, drawing from observation.

http://www.taospaint.com/AmaryllisArt/AmaryllisArt.html

Had to add that one to the discussion, Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703