Re: [teacherartexchange] copying

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 10:18:05 PDT

"Observational" drawing is important but is not the
end all to learning to draw. Each student in my
classroom learn how to draw in a variety of ways some
excel in observational right off, some have to
progress from tracing and copying to observational.
Building the students confidence in their ability to
recreate an image is important to me. Students who do
not find success in drawing right away (an issue in
society of instant gradification) they give up. By
giving students the ability to move towards that
"observational" drawing skill and find success along
the way sets them up to continue in the "life long art
maker" journey.

I have seen to may art students in art programs
frustrated because the art teacher taught only to
their preference. An art program just centering on
ceramics, crafts, etc. where the students wanted some
direction in art history, painting or drawing and that
was not provided because the teachers strength was in
a specific area frustrated and turned students off to
art.

In my beginning of teaching I to was a purest of
drawing. No techniques taught except "observational
drawing". I learned quickly I was only addressing one
group of students not the class as a whole. Students
needed more options as not all learned or perceived in
such a manner of "observation" By offering success to
students using the "tricks" of drawing they were more
open to try the "observational" technique.

I "take the time" because like all the other "tricks"
observational drawing has its value. It hits a
population in the class. Exposure to all the skills
and techniques of drawing allows students to make the
decisions they need to be art producers. My
perference is based on my learning style and I would
not impose or dictate that on all my students. I
invite them to make the decision on what would best
work for them, encourage them to explore all the
techniques and build on their skill. I explain one
technique is not an end all to drawing.

Artist of old used tracing to transfer images, used
grids to get proportions correct, used light to trace
outlines.

Unlike "Math" drawing requires observational skills,
"seeing" detail, and eye hand coordination. For some
these skills are second nature but for most they are
extremely frustrating and take a large amount of time
to master. Offering them one method to develop that
drawing skill is like the "Math" teacher that only
requires drill and practice without offering other
techniques and possibilites to find solutions.

Jeff (Minnesota)