Re: [teacherartexchange] copying

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 08:33:05 PDT

Hi Jen,
        This, indeed, is an interesting subject, and thank you, and others
who posted, for your ideas! As someone who lacks stereopsis (ability
to see in 3-D) and has eye movement difficulties due to nystagmus, I
am challenged to do drawings from observation, especially if I don't
have time to focus and spend time with the drawing. You may not be
aware of children who have visual impairments, including color
blindness, in your classrooms. So it is important to provide a full
scale of opportunities to your students to help them to SEE. Another
exercise might be to blindfold the students, place an object in their
hands, along with paper and pencil on the desk/table, and ask them to
draw what they "feel." Descriptions of how a smooth form feels as
opposed to a rough form, for example, may provide another aid for
their seeing and rendering, as may the "upside-down" drawing technique.

                                                                Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                                                                Art teacher, K-5, retired